What's the Purpose of this Blog?
Optimal health does not come from a "miracle" drug or a fad diet, but is instead the result of making prudent daily decisions about how to eat, exercise, handle stress and connect with others. This blog offers simple, actionable, daily advice, provided to help readers on the path to optimal health according to the principles of integrative medicine and the insights of Andrew Weil, M.D. It also contains Dr. Weil's views on the health news of the day. It is not intended to explore Dr. Weil's research, philosophies or recommendations in depth - for that, see his official Web site, www.drweil.com.
Commenting on Posts:
In order to make our comments useful and interesting, the following guidelines have been established for comment users on DrWeilBlog.com:
- Do not post threatening, offensive, harassing, defamatory, or libelous material.
- Do not intentionally make false or misleading statements.
- Do not offer to sell or buy any product or service.
- Do not post material that infringes copyright.
- Do not post personal information including email addresses or phone numbers.
- Do not post information that you know to be confidential or sensitive or otherwise in breach of the law.
- Keep comments relevant to the subject matter of the post.
- Be nice!
Who is Andrew Weil, M.D.?
Links to Dr. Weil's approved web content and partners are listed at about.me/drweil
Andrew Weil, M.D., is a world-renowned leader and pioneer in the field of integrative medicine, a healing oriented approach to health care which encompasses body, mind, and spirit.
Combining a Harvard education and a lifetime of practicing natural and preventive medicine, Dr. Weil is the founder and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine (AzCIM) at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, in Tucson, where he is also a Clinical Professor of Medicine and Professor of Public Health and the Lovell-Jones Professor of Integrative Rheumatology. Dr. Weil received both his medical degree and his undergraduate AB degree in biology (botany) from Harvard University.
Dr. Weil is an internationally-recognized expert for his views on leading a healthy lifestyle, his philosophy of healthy aging, and his critique of the future of medicine and health care. Approximately 10 million copies of Dr. Weil's books have been sold, including Spontaneous Healing, 8 Weeks to Optimum Health, Eating Well for Optimum Health, The Healthy Kitchen, Healthy Aging, Why Our Health Matters and Spontaneous Happiness.
Online, he is the editorial director of drweil.com, the leading web resource for healthy living based on the philosophy of integrative medicine. He can be found on Facebook at facebook.com/DrWeil, Twitter at twitter.com/DrWeil, and Dr. Weil's Daily Health Tips blog at drweilblog.com.
He authors the popular "Self Healing" special interest publications, and is the Director of Integrative Health at Miraval Life in Balance Resort in Tucson, Ariz. As a columnist for Prevention magazineand a frequent guest on Larry King Live, Oprah, and the Today Show, Dr. Weil provides valuable information and insight on how to incorporate conventional and complementary medicine practices in one's life to optimize the body's natural healing power.
Weil Lifestyle, LLC
PO Box 24762
Tempe, AZ 85285
Andrew Weil, M.D., donates all of his after-tax profits from royalties from sales of Weil Lifestyle, LLC products directly to the Weil Foundation, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting integrative medicine through training, education, and research. www.weilfoundation.org
What is Weil Lifestyle, LLC?
Weil Lifestyle, LLC, is an organization founded with the mandate of providing an ethical funding platform to support the Weil Foundation. Its mission is to be the leading resource for education, information, products, services and philanthropic contributions based on the principles of integrative medicine. Headquartered in Tempe, Ariz., Weil Lifestyle, LLC, is the owner of the website www.drweil.com and the exclusive worldwide licensor of distinctive products and services that are developed, reviewed and approved by Dr. Andrew Weil. (About Us - Andrew Weil, M.D.)
Links to Dr. Weil's approved web content and partners are listed at about.me/drweil
Weil Lifestyle, LLC, maintains and presents the content of www.drweil.com, a free online consumer resource for healthy living based on an integrative medicine philosophy. Since 1996, www.drweil.com has helped millions of consumers and health professionals stay abreast of news and information in the field. Its servers log more than three million pageviews and deliver over 14 million free opt-in e-bulletins each month. Dr. Weil is actively engaged as the editorial director for the site, overseeing both its direction and content.
"My primary purpose in creating Weil Lifestyle, LLC, is to establish a stable financial base to provide funding for research and educational programs that will ultimately improve health care and empower individuals to make better health choices by following the principles of integrative medicine. I also want to make quality products available to people who are interested in following my recommendations," said Dr. Weil. "As a practitioner and teacher of integrative medicine for the last thirty years, it has been my personal mission to drive research, teaching, clinical practice, and public education to advance this system. I believe that integrative medicine is the future of medicine and health care."
Since its inception in 2005, the Weil Foundation has given out more than $4 million in grants and gifts to medical centers and other non-profit organizations nationwide.
The goals of Weil Lifestyle, LLC, are achieved through royalties from licensing and offering a range of best-in-class products and services. Its commitment to the public is to provide therapies that enhance health and well-being, and help achieve a lifestyle guided by the philosophy of integrative medicine.
Weil Lifestyle, LLC, exclusively markets this line of products and services through www.drweil.com, in retail locations across the U.S. and worldwide including:
- Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor® - This online service provides consumers with vitamin and nutritional supplement recommendations prioritized according to the individual's health concerns, and taking into account their age, gender, medical history, diet, medications, and lifestyle. Products offered are based upon Dr. Weil's recommendations and come in personalized Vitamin Advisor® Complete Program Daily Dose Packets.
- Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging - Based on the insights in Dr. Weil's bestselling book, Healthy Aging, DrWeilonHealthyAging.com is an interactive, dynamic online source of information that can help anyone successfully negotiate the process of growing older.
- Dr. Weil's Optimum Health Plan - Based on Dr. Weil's best-selling book 8 Weeks to Optimum Health, Dr. Weil's Optimum Health Plan is a customized, comprehensive online program designed to help individuals incorporate Dr. Weil's philosophy into all aspects of their life - body, mind, and spirit.
- Dr. Weil's Vitamins, Minerals, and Supplement Formulas - Dr. Weil's exclusive Antioxidant and Multivitamin Formula and Condition-Specific Select Formulas have been developed, selected, and approved by Dr. Weil using evidence-based scientific research. All contain the highest quality ingredients, and are designed to be readily absorbed.
- SpontaneousHappiness.com - Based on Dr. Weil's bestselling book, Spontaneous Happiness, this online plan provides interactive tools, guides, information and more to help members achieve a lifetime of emotional well-being in just eight weeks.
- Waterfront Media, Inc. - Waterfront Media markets, develops, and distributes a subscription online service. Waterfront provides leading internet publishing services to consumers to create online personal growth programs.
See a list of Dr. Weil's licensees.
What is Integrative Medicine?
Integrative medicine is healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit), including all aspects of lifestyle. It emphasizes the therapeutic relationship and makes use of all appropriate therapies, both conventional and alternative.
- Patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration; including mind, spirit, and community as well as the body.
- Appropriate use of both conventional and alternative methods facilitates the body's innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive should be used whenever possible.
- Integrative medicine neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically.
- Good medicine is based in good science. It is inquiry-driven and open to new paradigms.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
- Practitioners of integrative medicine should exemplify its principles and commit themselves to self-exploration and self-development.
Find more information about integrative medicine from the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine's website.