The ability to breathe properly is fundamental to good health. Don't take the health of your respiratory system for granted, even if you are not a smoker - consider these supplements, which can help to promote lung health:
- Daily multivitamin. Look for products containing 15,000 IU of mixed carotenoids, including beta-carotene.
- Vitamin C. This water-soluble vitamin can provide additional protection against the oxidative effects of air pollution and smoke.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). This powerful antioxidant can improve the use of oxygen at the cellular level.
- Cordyceps and reishi mushrooms. These Chinese medicinal mushrooms may be useful in promoting optimal respiratory efficiency and protecting against chronic lung disease.
- B vitamins. Especially B6, may help protect against lung cancer by supporting immune function.
- Vitamin D. This fat-soluble hormone may help prevent the cellular changes that promote lung cancer.
- Aspirin. A daily aspirin may reduce the risk of lung cancer through its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mullein. The flowers and leaves of this Mediterranean native can help relieve dry, bronchial coughs and help alleviate chest congestion.
- Zhu ling (Polyporus umbellatus). This mushroom may be particularly useful in protecting against lung cancer: Research suggests it may help stimulate the body's immune response against lung tumors.