Yesterday I listed symptoms of depression; today I'll discuss some natural treatment methods. In addition to following your doctor's recommendations and talking with a therapist, I suggest:
- Getting regular exercise. For rapid benefits in alleviating depression, there is no better method than regular aerobic exercise. I recommend 30 minutes of continuous physical activity, at least five days a week for best results.
- Checking your meds. Make sure you are not taking any over-the-counter or prescription medications that may contribute to depression.
- Cutting out caffeine. Addiction to coffee and other forms of caffeine often interferes with normal moods and can aggravate depression.
- Trying acupuncture. This modality has proven itself to be very useful in treating several mood disorders, including depression.
- Meditating. This eastern tradition requires long-term commitment and does not produce immediate results, but can help get to the root of depression.
In addition, follow a well-balanced diet, include an antioxidant multi-vitamin/mineral supplement to ensure you are meeting your nutritional needs for all the essential nutrients; consider B vitamins, especially folic acid and vitamin B6, along with fish oil (try 1,000 - 2,000 mg per day), all of which can be helpful in supporting optimal mood.